Feb 12, 2014

The Night I Spiked My Mom's Drink

Love & Sarcasm

Lately my Friday nights have been set aside for good old quality time with...myself. Sleeping early and waking up Saturday morning hangover free. This past Friday night, Mother decided to make an appearance and kinda moved in on my beloved pastime.

I was on the couch chowing down on Sonic's foot long coney and my strawberry limeade spiked with raspberry vodka. Shoot me, it was a hard day. Switched on Suckerpunch as I recorded it just to remind myself how bad Vanessa Hudgens' acting is. Mom walks in with her load of laundry and became surprisingly interested in this movie. My mother is infamous for talking during movies. Seriously, one of my biggest pet peeves. She continues to throw 20 questions at me about the movie. I make a comment about how I have no idea Mother, I've never seen this movie either. I instantly felt bad and started to think about how I would feel 20 years from now when I wouldn't be able to be annoyed by my Mom. I started to think about how I would feel as a mother, with my 2 adopted children from Africa. And how in 30 years I probably wouldn't be able to catch onto things so quickly either. I sat there and decided I was going to make the most of the situation and enjoy my time with Mom that night.

It was probably one of the best Friday nights I've had in years. It was funny to see how amused she was by such a silly movie. It was even funnier to watch her drink my limeade and ask why it was so sweet. No mom, keep it, it's yours. But, my favorite moment of the evening was the end of the movie there's a long monologue talking about controlling your destiny and fighting for it. Something super cheesy. My mom yells with the movie, "Fight!" and pulls me in for a tight squeeze and kisses me. And for some really odd reason tells me she loves me. That moment folks, was perfection. Call me sentimental, but I will remember that moment until the day I die.

It was a night that reminded me that the older we get the less time we make for those that matter the most. Life is short and my parents aren't getting any younger. The older I get the more I understand and appreciate their words, advice and simply the time we spend together. With Valentine's day coming up, it just reminded me how blessed I am to have someone that loves me so unconditionally. There hasn't been one year this woman hasn't sent me a sweet Valentine even when I was miles away!

If you're reading this Mom, Hello. Thanks for being my only reader. Thanks for all your love, support, and selflessness. Thanks for always pretending that you aren't even a little terrified that I might find love too late and my insides will be too barren to bear you grandchildren. Yes, you probably were a little drunk after that limeade and yes that is why you fell asleep so early. Love you more than words could ever say.

Spolier alert! Final scene from Suckerpunch.


Stalk me: here + here

No comments:

Post a Comment